When I was a little, my Dad used to make me rice pudding with a jammy swirl dolloped in the middle. Divine. When I initially came up with this recipe, my intention was to recreate the jam be-dolloped pudding, and just make it a little healthier. Quinoa flakes, however, cook down into more of a smooth consistency and lack the bite of the rice grains, making this much more of a porridge.
So although my little experiment didn’t go quite according to plan, I was still thrilled with the results. The sweet strawberry compote is the perfect compliment to the slightly bitter quinoa flakes, and the whole thing comes together very quickly, so its perfect for a quick healthy breakfast.
Quinoa flakes seem fairly common place now, but if you can’t find them you can substitute for whole quinoa and just increase the cooking time to 15-20 minutes.
- ⅔ cup quinoa flakes
- 1 cup milk (almond, rice, soy, dairy...)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Strawberry Chia Compote
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- In a small saucepan, bring the strawberries and honey to a boil, add chia seeds and turn heat onto low
- Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, and mush up the strawberries a little with a spoon.
- While compote is simmering, combine the porridge ingredients in a second small saucepan, gently bring to a simmer
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until quinoa flakes are tender
- Scoop porridge into bowls and top with compote!