For someone who loves food and relishes in cooking all meals painstakingly from scratch, my weekday breakfasts are often a very low key affair.
I often just throw some dry oats in a bowl with yoghurt and whatever fruit, nuts and seeds I have to hand. However, I wanted to do something a bit more special for the dry oat naysayers in my life, and I started experimenting with granola.
This is my favorite “result” so far. It is so luxurious I don’t know wether to eat or breakfast or dessert (I did both). I love it with yoghurt and a little sliced banana, dried cherries or my strawberry chia compote. It also holds up well in a simple bowl of milk. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup honey (or agave if vegan)
- ¼ cup + 2tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups oats
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- generous pinch of sea salt
- ⅔ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 250 F
- Melt oil, almond butter and honey in a small saucepan
- When melted, add cocoa powder and stir until combined
- In a large bowl, combine oats, almonds and salt
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly so all of the dry ingredients have a lovely chocolatey coating
- Pour mix onto a nonstick baking tray (I gave mine a good coat of cooking spray as insurance)
- Bake for 15 minutes, then take out of the oven
- Stir in the coconut until well combined, then put it back in the oven for another 15 minutes
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool in the pan, once cool transfer to an air tight container breaking up the larger chunks as you go