This smashed avocado chickpea sandwich comes together in minutes, and makes a bolstering and tasty lunch.
Hello all! I am writing this post from a cosy room in the north of England, the fire is crackling, and melting snow is dripping from the tree branches outside. This is the last day of a whirlwind week back home. The three of us travelled here for my sissies wedding, and we are finally relaxing after a jam packed week.
By the time you read this, we will be jetting back over the Atlantic (hopefully James will snooze the whole way again!). Anyway, I just wanted to drop by and leave you with a tasty, filling idea for a vegan lunch. You can throw this avocado chickpea sandwich together in mere minutes, and then be satisfied for the rest of the afternoon. Sometimes I make the filling in bulk so I will have lunch supplies for the rest of the week.
Seriously easy and delicious. Enjoy!!
- 1 tin chickpeas or 1¾ cup of prepared chickpeas
- 1 large avocado
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- juice from ½ a lemon
- 2 tsp dried dill
- dash of tamari
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices of good quality whole grain bread
- Handful of fresh baby spinach leaves
- Combine chickpeas, avocado, parsley, lemon juice, dill and tamari in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, or a fork, smash everything together until well combined but with a little chunkiness remaining. You can also use a food processor but just pulse lightly- you don't want the filling to be a smooth paste!
- Give the filling a quick taste test, and adjust seasoning to taste
- Spread the filling on four slices of the bread, and spinach or other garnishes
- Pop the final bread on top of each slice to complete your sandwich!
Inspired by Happy Herbivores “Tuna” Salad recipe.