Chocolate and red wine come together to make magic in this vegan, whole wheat chocolate red wine cake. Perfect for your vegan valentine!
Only a serious loser would bake her own birthday cake, right? Right. So I will just gloss over the fact that my hubby and I ate this Chocolate Red Wine cake for my Birthday dessert last month, and focus on its suitability as a vegan valentines day dessert instead.
Chocolate and red wine contained within one bite? That is my idea of a good time. This is such a lovely variation on the traditional chocolate cake. I was first inspired by this recipe from the Smitten Kitchen, but used this recipe from Moosewood to make it vegan, and a little tweaking of my own to make it whole grain.
- For cake:
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar*
- ½ cup safflower oil ( or other neutral vegetable oil)
- ¾ cup red wine
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- For Icing:
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp red wine
- water or almond milk to create desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C
- Line a 9 inch cake pan or grease liberally
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and sugar, set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, wine, water and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the try, and mix until just combined. Quickly transfer to the cake pan
- Add the vinegar to the mixture, and quickly stir until its evenly distributed throughout the cake batter
- Bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean, allow to cool for a few minutes in the palm before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely
- Make the icing: place chocolate chips, vanilla and wine in a small microwavable bowl, microwave at 20 second increments, stirring between each blast. When the ingredients have completely melted together, you can stir water or almond milk to reach desired consistency
- When the cake is completely cooled, smooth the icing over the cake
If you don’t have a microwave you can prepare the icing with a double broiler instead.