This whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread is 100% whole grain, and 100% delicious!
Anyone else overbuy bananas just so you can make Banana Bread? Until recently, this tactic worked like a charm for me, but lately, James has thrown me off my banana game. We now have three people in the house who like to eat a banana a day (and one dog, but rarely is he indulged…!). This means I’m having to buy a near crazy number of bananas when I go to the supermarket. Last week, the cashier even asked me why I had so many?!
Todays recipe has become my new go-to banana bread. It’s made with whole wheat flour and olive oil, but is beautifully moist. It’s sweetened with just a little coconut sugar, but is deliciously sweet as can be. Finally it’s dotted with dark chocolate chips, so it holds magical powers.
I can guarantee if you give this healthier banana bread a try, it will become a staple in your home too!
- 6 tbsp olive olive (or melted and cooled coconut oil)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup milk (whatever you have to hand)
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium banananas, mashed
- 1¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a loaf tin with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, vanilla and milk until combined. Then whisk in the eggs, and the mashed banana. Set Aside
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. When they are well combined, stir in the chocolate chips
- Tip the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and in as few movements as possible, stir until *just* combined. (This is VERY important, over mixing could make your banana bread dry and tough)
- Bake for 55 minutes- 1 hour in the center of the oven