This dish of roasted broccoli with sun dried tomatoes, Farro, Feta and tahini make for a simple, nourishing dinner, packed with nutty, salty flavour.
Self care. Do you make it a priority? What does it mean to you? Last weekend I was all set to catch up on photographing some new recipes and posting them on here for you, but on Sunday I totally crashed and burned. It turns out that a full time job, a baby, a husband facing a thesis deadline, two transatlantic flights, a training schedule and a social life became too much for me to manage, and my body told me so.
I spent most of the weekend unable to move from the sofa (which I discovered is especially horrible when you have a baby to take care of!), and this experience confirmed what I already know to me true: health is really all about balance. A good diet and exercise regime will only get you so far if you are sleep deprived or not managing your stress well. So, I decided to take the last week to take care of myself a little better, a few bubble baths, yoga in place of HIIT, better food choices, and early nights when I could get them. I’m now back to my usual self, so thanks for letting me take the week off!
It seems fitting that I am sharing this recipe with you today, because for me it embodies those themes of health and balance. Whole grains, fresh seasonal vegetables and a sprinkling of good cheese. This feels like such a restorative meal, and most importantly it can be made in about 20 minutes which is vital if you are feeling pressed for time! I am a huge fan of broccoli, ESPECIALLY when roasted with a little salt. In this dish I have paired the broccoli with juicy sun dried tomatoes, salty feta cheese, and a nutty tahini dressing, all on a base of farro. So beautiful, so nourishing.
- For Farro/Broccoli mix:
- 1 cup farro
- 1 medium head of broccoli cut into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup sun dried tomatoes (drained if oil packed)
- ¼ cup feta, crumbled
- For tahini dressing
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp honey
- Juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C
- In a large saucepan, bring two cups of water to a boil, add farro and reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes until water is absorbed and the farro grains are tender. Set aside
- Meanwhile, roast the brocolli: toss florets with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes when the brocolli is tender, a little crisp, and beginning to chat at the edges
- While the farro is cooking, and the brocolli is roasting, whisk together the ingredients dog the tahini dressing, set aside
- When the brocolli is ready, remove the florets from the oven. Combine brocolli with cooked farro, and stir in the sun dried tomatoes.
- Divide into four portions, and sprinkle feta over each plate
- Finally, drizzle a little tahini sauce over the top of each portion
Quinoa, rice, barley or other grains can be used in place of farro if you don’t have it to hand!