This whole wheat Lemon Ginger Cake is just bursting with zingy citrus and warm gingery flavour.
This weekend I will be celebrating Mothers Day. As a mother to a British-American child, I feel I am allowed to double dip with this Holiday. So Kirk, if you’re reading this, I would like breakfast in bed in May too please…!
Enough about me though, lets talk about MY MUM. She runs Marathons and is currently training for her first ultra. She’s a nurse. Like me, she likes her tea black. Unlike me she despises chocolate. One of her favourite foods, is cake, and one of her favourite flavour combinations is lemon and ginger. Thus- today I present Lemon Ginger Cake, for my Mum.
This cake is made with whole wheat flour, unrefined sugars, yoghurt and olive oil. It’s a treat, but a slightly healthier one. It’s sticky and beautifully moist, keeps well for days, and is just bursting with zingy citrus and warm gingery flavour. Truly, its a winner.
Enjoy, Mum! Happy Mother’s Day!
- For the cake:
- 1½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- zest of two lemons
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup plain whole milk yoghurt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For the glaze:
- 3 tbsp honey
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper, or grease well
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and ginger. Set aside
- In a large bowl, use your fingertips to rub the lemon zest into the sugar until fragrant and well combined
- Whisk the eggs, yoghurt, olive oil, and vanilla into the sugar mixture, and then whisk the flour mixture into the wet ingredients
- Tip the mixture into the loaf tin, and bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean
- When the cake is done, remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack. When the cake is still warm, poke a few holes into the top of the cake with a fork or toothpick. Add the honey and lemon juice to a mug, microwave for 45 seconds, and give it a quick whisk, then drizzle the glaze over the top
Adapted from my Lemon Cake with Earl Grey Glaze